I feel like I have finally exploded and discovered what it is I have been looking for. It’s like when you were young and you collected Tazo’s from chip packets or Marbles and there was one you REALLY needed but never got. That Steelie or Cherry marble that was worth so much – tonight I got it!
I honestly believe a stream of events over the past few years have led me to this feeling. Here is a condensed version of the stream of events in a kind of chronological order:
- Grew up making and creating with all kinds of materials thanks to a Crafty Mum, Arty Sister, a “make and recreate” Nonno.
- Went through Primary School entering Corinella colouring competitions and to this day, have not let my better half ever forget that I won money and prizes from my mad colouring-in skillz.
- Went to a High School, not knowing anyone, struggled through growing up and struggling with art (Thanks Miss Sharp for the -D on my perspective drawing), but then received DUX of Visual Communication & Design (Win).
- Surrounded myself with a super talented, musical & creative set of friends.
- Studied Applied Design at Swinburne Uni, learned some mad skillz, met some mad people and realised I did not want to work “for the man” taking orders.
- Dropped in and out of mediocre jobs always dreaming big and starting my own hand-made business (Thank you Etsy, Thank you)
- Traveled here there & everywhere with my best friend and inspiring partner
- Worked in an amazing non-for-profit org with some equally amazing people that inspire me everyday to stay true to myself and maintain compassion for humanity.
- Left them for the “Dream Job”
- Nowadays I describe my life as – “You know the character who Anne Hathaway plays in The Devil Wears Prada” yeah- that’s me.
Whilst living through all of these dot points, I did learn a lot of valuable lessons, met a bunch of inspirational people and have been exposed to a world that can really be, whatever you want it to be. So this takes me to where I am now.
I don’t want to reveal any immediate plans yet, as they are still just plans but I am REALLY excited and cannot wait to get things off the ground (finally).
All this rambling was spawned from my evening last night, having the opportunity to listen to one of my heroes, Chad Dickerson, in a sold out session at the inspirational Dumbo Feather HQ (Incredible Whitehouse, St Kilda). One quote fom Etsy CEO Chad Dickerson I will remember and have scribed into my journal is “It’s not about making a living, is about making a life you want to lead.”
It is so true, its never the money that is the issue, its are you doing what you love? And if you are, then you are probably happy, and of course money helps to pay the bills – but essentially, it’s not what you need to be successful or happy.
Chad also spoke about the idea of Small Businesses taking over the world. Which I am totally down for! Etsy is the perfect platform for this concept, and I am eternally inspired and thankful that this community exists, giving small businesses a voice and a chance to make and sell their “handy crafts”.
This is just the tip of the iceberg for now, so I will leave this discussion open… I just had to expel my excitement from the night. I know so many creative souls with more talent than you can poke a stick at, and it is because of communities like “Etsy” that people can be themselves and find success in what they truly love.
Peace out peeps.